ACADEMIC ADVANTAGES AT DISCOVERY RANCH FOR GIRLS
- At Discovery Ranch girls have all the benefits of small classes, while at the same time benefit from seasoned, credentialed teachers teaching in their subject of specialization.
- One teacher and one aide typically teach a class of 4 to 12 girls. Our teachers don’t have to divide time among thirty or more students at a time, so individualized attention is actually an everyday occurrence.
- Discovery Ranch teachers are licensed educators endorsed by the Utah State Office of Education. Each teacher teaches in their specific subject of specialization.
- Each girl is enrolled in courses according to her own progress and needs, and is encouraged to work at her own optimum pace. Each girl receives one-on-one help along the way until confidence and skill development enables more independent learning.
- Discovery Ranch Academics employs a unique blend of one-on-one help, independent study, direct teaching, and experiential-based learning to ensure that each girl learns in the least restrictive environment possible, with the most intellectual stimulus possible.
- Each week the Academic Department prepares a hands-on (usually off campus) learning experience that is both prepared for and drawn on in daily direct teaching moments in core classes. This allows girls to see and make connections to real life academic topics in ways not normally possible in a classroom.
- Discovery Ranch for Girls is fully accredited by the Northwest Accredited Commission. Our curriculum is approved by the Utah State Office of Education.
EXCELLENCE THROUGH EDUCATION – The path to college starts here
Parents who choose Discovery Ranch often tell us they are worried about having to sacrifice academic progress for therapy help. For so many in these circumstances it seems like a choice between college and healing. It doesn’t take long for these parents to realize that academics and therapy go hand in hand. Thanks in part to small, nurturing learning communities, girls are able to catch up, keep up with, or even surpass their peers in traditional learning environments. Students thrive academically and therapeutically.
Our academic program operates under the direction of our sister company, Discovery Academy. Discovery Academy is accredited by the Northwest Accredited Commission. Our course curriculum meets all Utah State Office of Education requirements.
INDIVIDUAL PROGRESS IN THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY FOR YOUR DAUGHTER:
At Discovery Ranch the academic experience begins with a custom learning plan developed for each girl by the academic director in cooperation with the student, her parents, and her therapist. This learning plan outlines specific academic goals and strategies to achieve them. Our competency based learning model allows girls to move quickly through subjects where they excel and spend more time in subjects where they may be struggling.
Discovery Ranch educators use a combination of teaching styles that include direct teaching, note taking, one-on-one interactions, and academic experiential activities. Students must demonstrate an 80% competency score on each chapter before being allowed to proceed to the next. It’s the perfect learning environment for girls who may struggle academically.
For students who require more challenging course work, Discovery Ranch facilitates an Advanced Placement program to help girls stretch the limits of their learning.
All students receive an official academic transcript when they leave Discovery Ranch. Their credits readily transfer to other schools or programs. Girls can even choose to earn their high school diploma while at the Ranch.
Therapy help and academic excellence – two more reasons why so many families feel Discovery Ranch for Girls was the best choice for their daughter.[blockquote]“The tutors were very valuable. Not just academically, but as role models and just sounding boards!”[/blockquote]
[blockquote]“We had tried everything we could try. We owed it to her to try something completely different.”[/blockquote]
Get to know us better by exploring our website, or, if you prefer, calling our admissions department at 855-667-9388.